Major ID: 183A
Program Start Dates: Fall, Spring, Summer - only General Education courses
The Culinary Arts AAS degree prepares individuals for career opportunities in hotels restaurants, clubs and institutional food service facilities. Responsibilities may include menu planning, purchasing food, equipment, and supplies, selecting, and developing recipes, selecting and using various food preparation methods and techniques. Management duties may include, but are not limited to financial planning, hiring, training and supervising employees. Graduates will be eligible for Certified Culinarian award from the American Culinary Federation as well as more advanced certificates with requisite culinary industry work experience.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the National Restaurant Association, meal preparation continues to shift out of the home, providing plentiful opportunities for chefs, cooks, and other food service workers. Americans spend more than $300 billion each year on meals eaten outside the home. The service industry currently employs 9,631,900 individuals and is projected to swell by 7.7% by 2018.
Opportunities are available in hotels, restaurants, resorts, clubs, catering and corporate dining, government and school kitchens. Institutional opportunities include health care, schools, corporations, and government facilities. Culinary Arts careers can lead in many different directions such as hospitality management, sales, product development, or owning your own business.
- Graduates will assess employment opportunities within the food service industry.
- Graduates will apply culinary fundamentals in a professional setting.
- Graduates will apply management styles in a working restaurant.
- Graduates will apply food service safety and sanitation methods.
- Graduates will create professional relationships, networking, and mentoring opportunities throughout the Twin Cities food service community.
- Graduates will apply nutritional, sustainable and green best practices according to food service industry standards.
- Graduates will create menus according to food service industry standards.
Textbook and Supply Costs
Students should expect to spend approximately $1,300.00 for books, uniform and culinary supplies. This cost is in addition to the cost of tuition and fees.
Saint Paul College has transfer agreements & partnerships between many post-secondary institutions. For more information please go to saintpaul.edu/Transfer