Major ID: 052D
Program Start Dates: Fall, Spring, Summer
This program is designed to prepare individuals for employment in entry-level early childhood education positions. Students will learn about child development, guidance, health and safety, professional relations, and strategies for promoting learning in young children.
Lab and practicum opportunities are provided which allow students to apply their skills and knowledge in a practical experience. All students must meet all reading and writing program entry requirements prior to entering courses beyond the Certificate.
Students must have a high school diploma or GED and pass a criminal background study. Respect for cultural differences is essential. Good judgment and absolute integrity are also necessary for success in the field of child development.
Graduates of the Child Development Diploma program will qualify to work at a child care center, preschool program, before/after-school program, a family child care home or nanny. This diploma meets Minnesota Department of Human Services educational requirements for child care providers. The demand for trained child development professionals continues to increase as more and more parents seek quality care and educational programs for their children. Our job placement rate is well over 95% and the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the employment outlook will grow faster than average through 2026.
- Create appropriate learning environments for each child.
- Demonstrate effective collaboration to support families.
- Apply evidence-based, developmentally effective strategies to positively influence children’s behavior and learning.
- Plan and implement developmentally effective curriculum to address developmental and learning outcomes of young children.
- Utilize authentic assessment tools and approaches to support young children, families and inform practice.
Students should consult with the Program Faculty each semester.
Part-time and full-time options are available. Evening, Saturday, and online courses are also available.