Major ID: 389S
Program Start Dates: Fall, Spring, Summer
Data Science uses the techniques and theories from many different fields of study including mathematics, statistics, computer science, and information theory. Data scientists sort through great amounts of unstructured data such as emails, videos, social media, and other user-generated content and write algorithms to extract insights from the data. In essence, they turn data into knowledge
Students entering into this program of study will learn to collect, manage, interpret and analyze data in order to assist in making data-informed decisions for the benefit of a company or organization.
There is a growing need for individuals who have the skills to effectively collect and analyze data to make informed, data-driven decisions. Jobs for data scientists, business intelligence analysts, data mining analysts and other data science professions have emerged across all industries that use data extensively, including government, business, healthcare, online commerce and more.
- Gather, cleanse and store large data sets for future analysis.
- Manage large scale databases in specialized data management systems.
- Analyze large data sets using specialized software.
- Utilize sound mathematical and statistical principles to give meaning to data found in large data sets.
- Apply effective technical communication skills.
- Develop database applications using an industry standard database management system.
- Design and code computer programs in a variety of computer-programming languages.
Saint Paul College has transfer agreements & partnerships between many post-secondary institutions. For more information please go to saintpaul.edu/Transfer.