Major ID: 299C
Program Start Dates: Fall, Spring, Summer
This is a 24 credit certificate program exploring the Java programming language and computing platform. The certificate includes a foundation course in computer science, a web fundamentals course, and an in depth study of databases. It then features a two-course sequence in Java programming and a course in Java for web development. This certificate may be completed apart from a degree program or may be selected as an emphasis in the Computer Programming AAS degree.
The student should have above average communications and math skills. They should exhibit qualities of patience, perseverance, and preciseness, and should enjoy working in a team environment and also be able to work independently. All programs emphasize training for industry certification.
Graduates find excellent opportunities as computer programmers in business, manufacturing, government and education. Jobs for computer programmers for all types of computer systems are found throughout the country with opportunities for good earning and rapid advancement.
- Design and code computer programs in the Java programming language.
- Develop database applications using an industry standard database management system.
- Develop a Java program to create, modify and manipulate a relational database.
- Apply effective technical communication skills.
- Develop static web pages.