Major ID: 316A
Program Start Dates: Fall, Spring, Summer
The AAS in Clinical Sports Massage builds upon the existing Massage Therapy Certificate Program. Graduates perform thorough patient assessments and develop care plans based on assessments. Students implement care plans using carefully selected techniques for the given disorders, including recommended exercises to the client. Clinical Sports Massage techniques include, but are not limited to, friction therapy, trigger point therapy, active and passive engagement techniques, scraping techniques, fascial release techniques, manual lymphatic drainage and advanced stretching modalities.
Huge growth in age group sports such as triathlon, running, skiing, soccer, rugby and hockey, have led to more people returning to a sporting lifestyle than ever before. The direct correlation is an increase in injuries and/or need for prevention of injury. With increased proven results utilizing various soft tissue manual therapies, more people are relying on well trained Clinical Sports Massage Therapists to alleviate and/or prevent injury. There is a large demand for Clinical Sports Massage Therapists in rehabilitation facilities, sports chiropractic offices, onsite sports events, health clubs, and with selfemployment. The Clinical Sports Massage Advanced Certificate qualifies graduates to apply for board certification. All classes within this curriculum qualify as continuing education for massage therapy.
- Graduates will provide application of manual techniques to positively contribute to the well-being of the client in a safe and skillful manner.
- Graduates will be prepared to take the national certification exam in massage therapy.
- Graduates will be prepared for employment in an entry-level capacity.
- Graduates will be prepared to take the Board Certification through the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCTMB).
- Graduates will be prepared for employment in a sports and rehabilitation environment.
Day and Evening Classes
Classes may be offered day and evening.
Textbook and Supply Costs
Students should expect to spend approximately $1,900.00 for books and supplies. (Does not include massage table.) This cost is in addition to tuition and fees.
Saint Paul College has transfer agreements & partnerships between many post-secondary institutions. For more information please go to saintpaul.edu/Transfer.